Friday, January 9, 2009

Statement from Secretary of State Jesse White Regarding Illinois Supreme Court Decision

From the Office of Secretary of State Jesse White

I want to thank the Illinois Supreme Court for their ruling today. They have affirmed what Attorney General Lisa Madigan and I have maintained all along: that I have fulfilled my legal obligations regarding the appointment of Roland Burris to the U.S. Senate.

I want to remind everyone that on December 31, 2008 as Secretary of State I registered the appointment in accordance with state law. That document did not include my signature or the State Seal. As the Illinois Supreme Court ruled today, that act alone fulfilled my legal obligations.

I want to be clear that I could not and will not in good conscious sign my name to any appointment made by Governor Rod Blagojevich to fill the senate vacancy. This governor was arrested in part for trying to sell this very same senate seat. The Illinois Supreme Court has made it clear in it’s ruling that I am under no legal or constitutional obligation to affix my signature.

As I have maintained all along, the ultimate decision to seat or not seat a Senate appointment lies with the U.S. Senate.

No comments: