DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. – The Illinois Tollway is suspending temporary lane closures for construction projects over the Labor Day holiday weekend from noon on Friday, September 4, until 9 a.m. on Tuesday, September 8, but wants motorists to be aware of major traffic shifts that are in place in construction work zones throughout the system. Roadway Rebuild & Widen Projects underway systemwide will be completed by the end of this year as part of the Illinois Tollway’s $6.3 billion Congestion-Relief Program.
In addition, Illinois Tollway Headquarters in Downers Grove and the Customer Service Centers located in Tollway Oases will be closed in observance of Labor Day on Monday, September 7. However, the I-PASS Call Center will remain open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the holiday to provide service to Tollway customers. Callers can dial 1-800-UCI-PASS to reach a customer service representative.
As drivers prepare to travel for Labor Day celebrations, the Illinois Tollway encourages customers to Know Before You Go! – to make trips faster, easier and convenient. Most daily commuters know what to expect on their frequently traveled routes, but many times leisure travelers hit the road less-prepared. Occasional travelers often forget about construction until they are in traffic. By checking out www.illinoistollway.com before traveling, drivers can get current traffic and construction information, make sure they have funds in their I-PASS accounts and even plan to stop for gas or snacks at an Illinois Tollway Oasis along the way.
On the roadways, holiday weekend travelers will benefit from recent traffic shifts in construction zones that have moved traffic onto new pavement throughout the South, Central and North Tri-State Tollway (I-94/I-294) Rebuild & Widen Projects as work enters into the final stages.
In addition to work on the Tri-State Tollway traffic shifts and work zone traffic configurations with Express and Local Lanes also remain in place on the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90), Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355), and on the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88). Drivers should follow roadway signs and be aware that Express Lanes may bypass local exits due to ongoing construction. A 45 m.p.h. speed limit is in effect 24/7 in all construction zones and drivers should continue to watch for changing traffic patterns and use caution, especially when workers are present. The minimum fine for speeding in a work zone is $375, whether there are workers present or not.
Tollway Construction Zones
Major construction areas where drivers should plan for slower traffic during the holiday include:
Tri-State Tollway (I-94/I-294/I-80)
Traffic is shifted into a construction Express Lane configuration between Half Day Road (IL Route 22) and Grand Avenue (IL Route 132) and between Dempster Street and Lake Cook Road with one northbound lane of traffic traveling in an Express Lane on the southbound side of the road in order to keep three lanes open during construction. Two Local Lanes will be shifted to the right on new pavement on the northbound side of the road. Local Lane traffic will have access to all exits. The next available exit from the Express Lanes is Rosecrans Road (IL Route 173), however access to Local Lanes is provided in advance of the following exits:
- Lake Cook Road traffic is directed to exit out of the Express Lanes and into the Local Lanes just north of Sanders Road.
- Rockland Road (IL Route 176) and Buckley Road (IL Route 137) traffic is directed to exit out of the Express Lanes and into the Local Lanes just north of IL Route 60.
- Grand Avenue (IL Route 132) traffic is directed to exit out of the Express Lanes and into the Local Lanes just north of Belvidere Road.
Traffic planning to exit at Half Day Road (IL Route 22), Townline Road (IL Route 60), and Belvidere Road (IL Route 120) must stay in the Local Lanes.
Other North Tri-State Tollway construction work includes:
- On the Half Day Road (IL Route 22) Bridge over the Tollway one lane of traffic in each direction on Half Day Road is being maintained on the newly constructed eastbound bridge.
Southbound traffic between Touhy Avenue and Balmoral Avenue is shifted into an Express Lane configuration with one southbound lane traveling on the northbound side of the median, and two Local Lanes traveling on new pavement on the southbound side to keep three lanes open during construction. Express Lane traffic can not exit until Irving Park Road. Traffic exiting at the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) Interchange must stay in the Local Lanes.
Other Central Tri-State Tollway construction work includes:
- A traffic split will be in place in the northbound lanes between Wolf Road and Balmoral Avenue for bridge work, with two lanes of traffic traveling on the left shoulder and left lane and two lanes shifted to the right with a work zone in the center. Traffic on the left side of the split will not have access to exit at the I-90/River Road Interchange or the O’Hare Oasis.
Northbound traffic is shifted into two Express Lanes on the southbound side of the road from 159th Street to 95th Street, with one Local Lane is available on the northbound side of the road to keep three lanes open during construction. Traffic in the Local Lane is now traveling on new pavement and has access to all exits. The next available exit in the Express Lanes is at 75th Street/Willow Springs Road. Drivers exiting at 159th Street must stay in the Local Lane. Traffic exiting at 127th Street/Cicero Avenue and at 95th Street is directed out of the Express Lanes just south of 127th Street.
- The eastbound 95th Street entrance ramp to northbound I-294 is closed for reconstruction. The posted detour route directs traffic to continue east on 95th Street to the Harlem Avenue interchange where motorists can take the northbound Harlem Avenue ramp, then follow the southbound Harlem Avenue ramp to westbound 95th Street to reach the northbound I-294 entrance ramp.
- The northbound exit ramp to northbound Cicero Avenue is closed for reconstruction. Traffic is directed to exit at 127th Street to reach Cicero Avenue.
Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88)
Construction work zones are in place on the east end of I-88 from I-290/Eisenhower Expressway to Finley Road to maintain three lanes of traffic in both directions.
- Traffic in both directions between York Road and I-290/Eisenhower Expressway is shifted into a split configuration with one lane traveling on the left shoulder and two lanes traveling on the right lane and right shoulder for a pavement resurfacing project. Eastbound traffic planning to exit to northbound Tri-State Tollway or westbound I-290 must stay in the right lanes.
- All traffic between IL Route 83 and York Road is traveling on new pavement with work zones in the median.
- Eastbound traffic between Finley Road and IL Route 83 is shifted into a construction Express Lane configuration, with one eastbound lane of traffic traveling in an Express Lane on the westbound side of the road in order to keep three lanes open during construction. The Express Lane is limited to I-PASS users only and will not have access to the cash lanes at the Meyers Road Toll Plaza. Two Local Lanes are traveling on the eastbound side of the road and has access to cash lanes at the Meyers Road Toll Plaza. Traffic in the Local Lanes has access to all exits. The next available exit from the Express Lanes is the Tri-State Tollway (I-294). Traffic using the Express Lanes will not have access to exit at I-355, Highland Avenue, or Midwest Road.
Construction zones are also in place to the west around Aurora with work underway at Eola Road and from the Aurora Toll Plaza to Orchard Road.
- Traffic in both directions between Farnsworth Avenue and the EJ&E Railroad is shifted to the left for a new interchange project at Eola Road. Three lanes remain open in both directions.
- All traffic between Orchard Road and the Aurora Toll Plaza is shifted onto the eastbound side of the road, with two lanes open in both directions.
- IL Route 31 entrance ramp to westbound I-88 is closed to traffic through fall 2009. The posted detour directs traffic to continue south on IL Route 31 to Indian Trail Road, west on Indian Trail Road to Orchard Road, and north on Orchard Road to reach the westbound entrance to I-88.
Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355)
Southbound traffic between Ogden Avenue and 75th Street is shifted to the right with a work zone on the left for a Resurface & Widen Project. Three lanes remain open in both directions. Northbound traffic also is shifted to the left at the 75th Street Interchange.
Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90)
All traffic between the Kishwaukee River and the South Beloit Toll Plaza is shifted onto the eastbound side of the road in order to maintain two lanes in each direction for a Reconstruct & Widen Project.
The ramp from westbound I-90 to southbound I-39/U.S. 51 is closed for work to rebuild and reconfigure the Cherry Valley Interchange at I-90/I-39. A posted detour directs traffic from westbound I-90 to a new exit ramp at Irene Road to reach westbound U.S. 20, which allows drivers to travel 3.5 miles to reach the I-39 Interchange. To reach the Chicago/Rockford International Airport and City of Freeport, drivers should use the Irene Road detour to reach westbound U.S. 20.
The ramp from southbound I-39 to westbound Harrison Avenue is closed for ramp reconstruction work. A posted detour keeps traffic within the I-39/U.S. 20 Interchange by directing motorists to continue southbound on I-39 and take the exit ramp to eastbound U.S. 20, take the exit ramp to northbound I-39 and then take the exit ramp to westbound Harrison Avenue.
Illinois State Police District 15 Out in Force
Illinois State Police District 15 will be out in force patrolling the Illinois Tollway system throughout the holiday weekend. State Troopers will be conducting construction zone speed enforcement details, roadside safety checks, occupant restraint details, alcohol enforcement details, as well as enforcement of the Fatal Five violations – speeding, seatbelt enforcement, following too closely, improper lane usage, and DUI.
Know Before You Go
The Tollway offers a variety of ways for drivers to get the latest information on construction and traffic on our roads.
www.illinoistollway.com – Construction Section – for details by road
1-800-TOLL-FYI – daily lane closure info
Roadway and electronic signs
www.gcmtravel.com – travel times
Sign up for E-mail updates
Up-to-the-minute traffic by road – www.nbcchicago.com
eNewsletter – www.illinoistollway.com
About the Illinois Tollway
The Illinois Tollway maintains and operates 286 miles of interstate tollways in 12 counties in Northern Illinois, including the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88), the Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355), the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) and the Tri-State Tollway (I-94, I-294, I-80/I-294).