Sunday, March 28, 2010

Rep. Art Turner's Statement on Not Being Selected as the Democratic Lt Gov Candidate

Dear Friends,

Today’s vote of the Democratic State Central Committee was a disappointment to you and to me both. It hurts to lose a race that we all feel should have been won. But I hope that you take many positive and valuable lessons from this experience, as I know that I have learned a great many things over this long campaign.

I learned that I am blessed with an incredible group of active, engaged and committed supporters that far surpasses any other. I am filled with great pride and am honored to have served you all for the past 30 years.

I learned that integrity and honesty are truly invaluable. The lessons and values that my parents taught me, and that I have tried to pass on to my children, are irreplaceable.

I also learned that before we take our message across the state again, we have a great deal of work to do closer to home. To those who’ve worked on my campaign and voted for me, I encourage you to not lose faith in the political process. On the contrary, we need every one of us to be even more engaged in public and civic dialogues so that we can be the masters of our own fate.

My fervent hope is that you join me to redouble our efforts with voter registration and the census. There will be more elections. There will be future races. There will be many more opportunities where we need to be counted, to be strong, to be even more committed to the ideas and values that we cherish.

The power to change the lives of millions is ultimately in the legislative and political arena. Life is not about what happens to you, but how you react to it. Don't be discouraged. Be proud of your engagement in the democratic process, and of your commitment to the American principles we hold dear.

Yours truly,

Art Turner

No comments: