Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Doug Whitley Ends His Quest to Be GOP Nominee for Governor

from Doug Whitley's Campaign website

After dedicating four months to a campaign for the Republican nomination for Governor of Illinois in 2010, I have concluded it is unrealistic to continue this effort.

I am exceedingly grateful for the encouragement and support from many individuals throughout Illinois. I am appreciative of everyone who demonstrated interest, welcomed me into communities and helped me along the way.


I have engaged in extensive travel, scores of public appearances and numerous conversations about the future of Illinois government, business, societal issues and the status of the Republican Party. Because these issues are critical to the health of Illinois, my regimen of engagement and civic involvement will continue. I will rejoin the Illinois Chamber of Commerce as President and CEO effective May 1. I look forward to hearing from you at
dwhitley@ilchamber.org or at 312-983-7103.

The Doug4gov.com website will remain operational until the campaign committee is officially closed with the State Board of Elections in the coming weeks.

I will continue to respond to e-mail at
doug@doug4gov.com. Comments, inquiries and feedback regarding this announcement are welcome at that e-mail address.

A Review of the Campaign
I’d like to share with you some of my thoughts and insights about the campaign and the decision to abandon the effort at this time.


I am especially grateful to have been well received everywhere I went. I believe my reputation, career experiences and messages have consistently resonated with attentive audiences. Countless people have expressed interest and volunteers have emerged. Donors have offered to host events to raise funds. Local party people warmed to the idea of a newcomer, non-professional politician who talks about ideas, action and solutions. People responded well to my passion for the role of Governor.


Even so, a reality check was necessary.


Money: I have been unable to overcome the financial hurdle required to launch a full-fledged campaign. The short-term prospects of having sufficient funds in the next 30 days to hire a campaign manager, communications director, field director for the busy summer season of festivals, fairs and parades, and a fundraising operation are minimal.


Economic Crisis: The destabilized economy, collapse of personal finances, job loss and fear of job losses, and threats to business have made the last several months an exceptionally difficult environment for fundraising.


Campaign Finance Reform: In the wake of Governor Blagojevich’s scandalous and unlawful campaign fundraising techniques, a new Illinois campaign finance law and executive order (recently rescinded) have effectively excluded thousands of potential donors and frozen others because of uncertainty surrounding the rules. The new law does not affect traditional large Democrat donors such as labor unions and trial lawyers. But the barriers placed upon traditional Republican donors – such as business owners – are chilling.


Voter Fatigue: Less than a month after last fall’s hugely engaging Presidential election our state watched the sitting Governor be arrested, impeached and removed from office. The appointment of a new U.S. Senator was equally controversial and provided wild political theater. A new Governor assumed office. The state’s debt is huge, revenues have tanked, the budget is in shambles and the General Assembly is in session. The former Governor finally was indicted while continuing to play ringmaster in the media circus. Meanwhile, local elections in April for thousands of offices across the state drew very low numbers of voters. The general public is not thinking about statewide candidates in 2010.


Party Leadership: I am an outsider. I have not run for office before, and I am not a proven vote-getter. I have not demonstrated an ability to raise funds for myself as a candidate. As a result, some party leaders were not ready to pledge support or funding to my campaign.


The Herd: The number of candidates and would-be candidates vying for the office of Governor is likely to grow in the coming weeks. The Republican Party still must sort through many GOP candidates and identify the best ones for the many available offices on the statewide ticket. It is not in the best interest of the party or the candidates to repeat the 2006 primary experience when a four-way race resulted in a weakened and under-funded standard-bearer to challenge well-funded, entrenched, incumbent Democrat office holders. I see little value in being a part of a repeat performance, when the obvious focus should be building a consensus strategy for candidates who can win in November.


Timing: If I were already an officeholder with campaign infrastructure and fundraising tools in place, I would not have begun the effort in January. But, I needed to get out early to present myself to new audiences and party leaders, and gain experience that a novice requires. I needed to present a legitimate and viable alternative to the traditional thinking that candidates should emerge from existing officeholders or be capable of substantially self-funding the campaign apparatus. I think the existing uncertainty of identifying, weeding out and selecting GOP candidates for 2010 may well extend until candidates begin passing petitions in August.

I have made a heartfelt and sincere effort. The people with whom I have engaged understand Illinois is at a critical crossroads. We are challenged on many fronts and there is much to be accomplished. All Illinoisans are in this together. I continue to possess the ambition to help lead us out of this political quagmire, just from a different position. I look forward to returning to the Illinois Chamber. From that leadership position, I plan to turn my energy and passion to solving the state’s problems and restoring Illinois to greatness.

Thank you for your continued interest and help.

Doug

No comments: