Thursday, April 11, 2013

Robin Kelly (D-2nd Dist of IL) is Sworn Into Office as a Member of Congress


Robin Kelly (D-2nd Dist of IL)

First words as a member of Congress, upon being sworn into office on April 12, 2013.

Thank you all very much.


It is truly an honor to be standing here and humbling to have been chosen to represent the families of the 2nd Congressional District. I thank the entire Illinois delegation for their support and advice.

I would also like to thank my family, friends and staff who are here in the gallery.

As I look around this hallowed chamber, I know this is a place where so much history has been made. But today, I stand before you to talk about our present. I ran for Congress so that I could work to bring about a safer, less violent and more prosperous future, one in which our children can grow up without the fear of gun violence. Today is an important day in that fight. I look forward to working with you to protect our children from criminals and protect our 2nd Amendment rights for law-abiding citizens. Because we should – and can – do both.

I also look forward to working on the many other issues we face, such as creating jobs, passing immigration reform and continuing the hard work in improving our healthcare system.

But today is about a new beginning for the people of 2nd Congressional District, who I am so proud and honored to represent. I look forward to being their advocate and their champion and to working with you to create a brighter future for all of our constituents.

Thank you, and God Bless.

No comments: