Monday, January 12, 2009

Statement from Secretary of State Jesse White Regarding U.S. Senate Seating Roland Burris

From the Office of Secretary of State Jesse White

Last Friday the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that my office and our state had met all the legal requirements regarding the appointment of Roland Burris to fill Illinois’ vacant U.S. Senate seat. As I maintained all along, the ultimate decision to seat Mr. Burris belonged to the U.S. Senate.

With that, I believe that the U.S. Senate acted appropriately today in seating Mr. Burris, and I believe he will do a fine job as U.S. Senator.

In that Friday ruling, the Illinois Supreme Court supported my position that I did not need to co-sign the Governor’s appointment proclamation. I did not co-sign that document because the Governor was arrested in part for trying to sell this very same senate seat.

I am pleased that Illinois will once again be represented by two senators in the U.S. Senate. Our state deserves that.

No comments: